History of the Old Malthouse
Part of an article taken from a local history book
The Malthouse, was originally built in 1571 as a working malthouse and granary, it is constructed of mellow red brick and panels of inset nap flint under a clay tiled roof. The present building has been very much altered and restored.
It has an impressive main entrance inset with herringbone brick and inlaid beams, and ornate carving on the upper eaves. Inside was an oak panelled hall and a superb galleried landing and throughout the building were a multitude of exposed beams.
The Malthouse, described as such as late as 1897 in the Overseer’s Rates Book when Lambert Stubington was owner / occupier, used to supply malt to the local breweries and grain to Medmerry Mill. A maltman, Charles Clarke, is described as living in the High Street in the 1851 census.
The building was converted into a private house in the 1920’s, and Mrs Septimus Ponder is known to have lived in the house from 1926 until the mid-1930’s, and was later the home of Major Wills of the tobacco family.